Friday, April 22, 2011

Did I plant that?


This morning I woke up to a very welcome greeting from June, like it had been forever since she's seen me (isn't it funny how dogs do that?)  We went straight to the back yard so she could take care of business. It was raining and things always look greener in the rain, so I really noticed how well my herbs were doing. I do not have a green thumb like my mom or sister, so to see how well they're doing made me smile! Greg's dad has grown this giant orchid that looks too good to be real.... really, I thought it was fake until I saw him watering it, while I can't even keep a fern alive.  So the herbs are one of the first things that I haven't killed in the past year, and I probably haven't gotten into gardening because of all my previous failures.  This herb pot may be the confidence I need to keep going. I've got to give my husband some credit.  He was the one who said my old herb pot was way too small and picked out this one.  I just don't have an eye for these things...thanks Greg.

Well, I love to cook, especially with fresh herbs. They really make dishes taste better.  Dried herbs will suffice, and can get me through the winter, but everything is better fresh.  I'm still experimenting with what I can grow. So far I have chives, parsley, rosemary, and oregano. The chives starting growing purple flowers when the weather warmed up...  I didn't even know they did that.  I'm saving the bare spot next to the chives  for basil.  Surprisingly, June hasn't tried to eat the plants... like she has with all the other flowers in the yard!  Now my mission is to find some recipes with parsley and chives because they're taking over in that pot.  Any ideas??

1 comment:

  1. look at you, miss martha stewart! i'm so impressed :) happy easter!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete