Thursday, April 14, 2011

June LOVES the lake






My husband and I spent this past weekend at my parent's lake house. Here is our dog, June, and her reaction when arrived. I love this picture. It captures the sheer joy and happiness that she has almost all the time. The only time she isn't happy is when I won't let her play with another dog. I only say "no" because I fear our neighbors will think I'm crazy letting our dog loose in their backyard. She gave me the saddest look this morning when I would not let her go into our neighbor's yard to play with their rottweiler. June, I promise it was for your own good.

My husband surprised me with June, a cockapoo, for my birthday several months ago. At first I was a little nervous about sharing our newly built and decorated home with a puppy. I quickly got over that and have fallen in love with her... and so have my parents. I never thought of my dad as a dog lover but he's definitely become one. He and my mom spoil her as if she were their grandchild. I can only imagine what it will be like when we have kids!

We haven't had many issues with her being in our home, although we put her in her crate at night and while we are at work. June is almost seven months old, so Greg and I finally decided to allow her to roam the kitchen while we gone, hoping she would be okay. The first day she did great. The second day she peed on the floor... no big deal, we just wiped it up. Unfortunately, yesterday she chewed a puppy pad into tiny pieces and gnawed on the floor molding in the corner of the kitchen exposing the unfinished wood. I was okay, but my husband is still trying to get over it. Her cuteness is about the only thing that kept him from throwing her out. Sorry June, it's back to the crate.

June has never met a stranger. She must sniff and greet everyone she meets. In my opinion, she's a great example for how I want to be. OK, that sounded really weird. I have no desire to sniff people. However, I would like to be as excited about meeting people and saying hello as she is. When I'm at work I so often look down or act too busy to say hello to customers. I am a pharmacist at a very busy retail store so a lot of time I am really busy but I never want to be too busy for people. Before I had a dog I had friends tell me they're so great because they love you unconditionally. Why can't I be that way too? I know this probably sounds so crazy that my dog is convicting me of being unfriendly to people. Sometimes I can be a little crazy so I'll accept it.

June is one of the many blessings that I have in my life. I smile as I sit here and watch her dig a whole in the back yard (sorry Greg) and then get distracted by a butterfly. She's another reason why I have so much joy in my life.

3 comments:

  1. You don't want to sniff people all day why not!!!! I love you so much and my Grandpuppy. Sorry June is back in prison. guess a few more months. She misses my spoiling!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! i'm so excited you started a blog...i will be a loyal follower :) and i love this entire post...and cutie patootie june! the blog looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an enchanting blog.......I feel like my heart has been plunged into a cauldron of purified canine tears.

    ReplyDelete